Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Anyone know how to become a tattoo artist in australia??

I have always been in love with tattoo's and art, I have been employed as a graphic designer for the past 7 years but would love to fullfill my dream of becoming a tattoo artist, as I could think of no greater compliment than someone wanting to wear your artwork for the rest of thier lives... I have done some tattoo designs for friends, that have inturn taken my pic to a studio and had it inked, which is pretty flattering, But I want to be the inker!.. I live in western australia and unfortunatly every tattoo studio I have inquired with are ';bikie affiliated'; so they aren't looking to take anyone on that they don't know - its more of who you know in this industry I assume!! Is there any schools, or courses in OZ that teach some tattooing so I can have a small amount of experience, hopefully giving me a chance to get a foot in the door?? Also I heard most apprenticships in tattooing are unpaid?? is this true?? surely you must make minimum wage atleast?? I have to be able to live...